Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sassy Rose

Setting a good example for your children takes all the fun out of middle age - 
 William Feather



As my mother got older she got sassier. And it was great - unless it was directed at you. That she was funny and said exactly what she thought and questioned the status quo thought. She made us laugh - and think.

While enjoying white bread toast dripping with margarine at the local greasy spoon with my mom, I watched her defend her pastor to a church woman she clearly did not like. And I proved my mama proud. As the self-righteous church lady vowed to pray for my mama's (unspoken) ignorance, I popped up to say "We'll pray for you, too." I saw my momma raise her head in surprise. I am normally quiet like my father. And I saw a small smile creep across her face.

She did not shy from controversial thoughts and ideas. And her heart was tender. When we were children and my father was stationed in the military in Germany in the post-WWII era, she made sure we heard her tell the story of a German farmer working the fields as an Allied Soldier was shot down. Workers in the fields cheered including the farmer's daughter. But he chastised his daughter - that poor soldier was some mother's son, it could have been your brother. My mother's lessons taught us to think -  to put our selves into the lives of someone else, even or maybe especially if the other side is unpopular. Maybe we're wrong. Like the other day when the New York Post rushed to brand the young Saudi a suspect - turns out he was a victim.

She was an early questioner of the church's view of women. And most importantly, she reminded that it's not ok to be stupid. I had just confessed something really stupid when I felt her pat me on the back of the head and then whack, hit me with all the force of her barely 100 pounds. I deserved that - I was 30 and old enough to know better.

Sometimes, moms just gotta be sassy!


Sassy Rose is available as an 8x10" archival print. Click to see what's available or Send me a message with questions.


"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"     -  Anne Frank


No comments:

Post a Comment