Only an Aunt can give hugs like a mother, can keep secrets like a sister, and share love like a friend
- Spanish Proverb
![]() |
| Orange Delight |
We sometimes get lucky and have moms other than our own mother who are there for us. I was lucky to have my mom and my aunt, two sisters, different as night and day, who were there for us. Kathryn was patient, kind, tall and thin. But my mom --- not patient, not tall and not too thin. And sometimes not the kindest, but truthful.
When I was 17, I had surgery and had a reaction to the sutures so it was a while before I woke up. And when I did, my mom wasn't there. I remember being so irritated she was gone, until my usually patient aunt pointed out that she had been at my side for hours while I slept. And didn't leave until she got her sister to relieve her. Sometimes you need that gentle reminder from other mothers.
If we've been lucky enough, we have or have had several other mothers. My father had several sisters, and my aunt Maude reminded me of biscuits. As a little girl barely able to reach the table, she would sit me in a chair on my knees to help her. And I loved to eat the raw biscuit dough. I still much prefer my biscuits raw. And when my mom passed away, my aunt Maude sat beside me in the service and took my hand in hers.
I was lucky to have had other mothers - Aunts who stayed by my side, held my hand and made biscuits with me.
Orange Delight is available as an 8x10" archival print. Click to see what's available or Send me a message with questions.
"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!" - Anne Frank

No comments:
Post a Comment