Friday, April 26, 2013

Imagine the Possibility! A Mother's Dream


Possibility


Recently, I took a parenting that actually changed me much more than my kid. Dadgum, I thought I was going to this class to bring my snarky kiddo into line. And I learned that if I changed my view of what she's doing and how I respond to the little bites and unspoken criticism, my life and her life would be soooo much happier. She would thrive.

I am an overburdened parent with bills and a body that's like an old car, slowly falling apart. I am tired and frustrated about where I have failed. I worry that she might end up to feel entitled and she might destroy her joints when she dances her heart out. Arthritis is rampant in my family. In other words, I am an average parent.

But here's what I learned. I am not in charge any more. She's almost 14 and my job is to be her co-pilot. My job is to step back and ever so steathily guide her.

I have four things I would like to leave her:

1. The overwhelming feeling and belief that you can do what you love - I think we often lose that as you grow older but I have friends and mentors who are modeling that - Like Dan Miller of 48days.com who teach how to do what you love and eat at the same time. And the wonderful friends I know like Deby Dearman who after 40 years as a professional singer lost her voice, but now spreads the light of God through painting.

2. Know your purpose or know how to find your purpose - See number one, find a good mentor who can help you. Ok, and look at your mom. She's old as the hills and just really starting to do what she loves, art and showing the joy and wonder in the world.

3. Have healthy relationships - that's a bit harder. Had to let some friends go. Forgave others like her daddio. Believe me, forgiving for the sake of forgiving is amazingly freeing. I feel so light. And who benefits - me, her and him, but mostly her!

4. Love Herself as she is, learn to forgive others, to forgive the wacky stuff she might do. I think that calls for me forgiving the oh so very many idiotic and stupid things I have done. Like the time I, uh, I can't say that in print. See herself at her best. I guess the best way to do that is to forgive myself for not catching that she was dyslexic for so long. Stop worrying that I might have damaged her beyond her ability to regain her sense of self and her sense of her own beauty. As we know, no one is beyond redemption and everyone is beautiful.

I think if I see myself at my best, she might see herself for the wonder she is. I think if I appreciate my speed and the rhythm of my self which is pretty doggone slow, she might embrace her tenacity and the rhythm of her own body. So, the bottom line is if I live well, she can, too.

Imagine the possibility.


Possibility is available as 10x10" canvas gallery wrap  or a an 11x14" fine art print. If you want a larger one, or a 6x6" tile, Send me a message!


"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"     -  Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment