Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Valentine's in light and dark



Valentine's is around the corner and I am reminded of those little Valentine's we shared as kids. I've been giving my kiddo little boxes of candy every few days. When she was little, we used to make Valentine boxes, taking an old shoebox, wrapping it in red shiny paper and decorating them with lace hearts. Then we would surprise each other with Valentine goodies. Now she's 13 and I hear her starting to dread Valentine's like many women do. But this year I am reminded that it's a tender love that exists for us no matter what is momentary in our lives.

My father used to buy those big big cards for my mom, the ones with satin hearts, pink and red. What was so sweet about his love for her was that it wasn't just a card. As she got older and more frail every season, he would wash her back and make her food. He would hobble to her on his cane to touch her forehead and hold her hand. This is love.

So this love I want to show my kid exists every day. I got her a little box of candy with a pirate on it that tells her "You ARRRGH a Treasure." And everyday I feel more and more love for her and for my sweet friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment