Monday, April 15, 2013

Mary - The God-Colors of the World

“You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world.
(Matthew 5:14, The Message)” 





Flower Friends
Today is Mary's birthday. Recently she told me she didn't feel 70 and I think that's because she's a bright God-color in our World.

A few years ago, her oldest daughter called me to ask about cleaning for her mom who had just moved to Asheville and none of the kids lived around her. Melted my heart - a grown kid who was looking after help her mom.

While I was on my hands and knees a few weeks into working for her, she told me she had five kids, and she raised them on her own. Since then, I have learned what it is to rise to the challenge.

One by one they have moved to be with her, visited her, honored her and showered her with love.

I have often wondered how she raised five kids who love their mom more than life itself. How she didn't spent many nights lying awake wondering how to feed five little baby birds, how she didn't scream like crazy at the unfairness of having to do it all alone.


She made holidays events for those five with little but a tube of lipstick and bright decorations from the home. She made sure they had enough to eat, enough to wear, and more than enough love. They dressed for Halloween with costumes she pulled together from what was in the house, and as I hear it, once played on a sofa that was a seat from a car.

I only have one kiddo, and am doing it alone also. But not really, I have a friend like Mary who wears the God-Colors of the World to shine the way. When I am tired and ready to scream, I just need remember that Mary did it - with Five! I know there were many difficult times but she did it with grace and style. And she's still wearing her God-Colors.

And her baby birds are out there - painting, making As and the President's list, working for their dream jobs, raising beautiful kids, shining and bringing great joy to this world. Because their mom put on her God-Colors while she held their hand.


Flower Friends is available as an 11x14" archival print.   Click to see what's available or Send me a message with questions. Hey, I would love to hear about your experiences with your mom or being a mom!!

~ Billie


"Everyone has inside of him a piece of good news. The good news is that you don't know how great you can be! How much you can love! What you can accomplish! And what your potential is!"     -  Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment