Friday, January 11, 2013

Our Memories are Like Roses in December

Roses in December
See the winter's darkness through
Like roses in December
Are my memories of you
   - Ian Walker, Roses in December


Roses in December
I know it's January, but it's still winter and a few months from spring and the joy of flowers. And it's time for the winter doldrums. Six years ago this week my father passed away and when he died, I was there. The spirit of God and love that filled the room when he passed from this life into the next was palpable. And still there was grief, and at times, grief remains. What I am comforted by is words I heard years earlier - your memories of people you love are like Roses in December.

And what I remember is a man whose face and soul were full of light and love, a man who danced in his wheelchair, sang (and he couldn't sing a lick, but did it with great joy) and just plain loved life. Thanks for the roses in December, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment